Answers to Mini-quiz . . . now don’t cheat!
- The photo in the quiz article was taken in the 1890s. This photo was made in 1915. In the first country to use the Nazi salute in order to express complete loyalty to the central government. What country was it?
The United States. This salute was used in many public school classrooms in the Northeast, Midwest and parts of the West up until early 1942. Yes, Adolf Hitler liked the salute of the American National Socialists so much that he adopted it for his party!
2. In what country was the first National Socialist Party? It was not Germany. After World War I some disgruntled Germans liked the name of the original National Socialist Party and so created the National Socialist German Workers (NAZI) Party in imitation.
The United States. It was founded by a Christian socialist in the 1880s, who wanted combine Christian utopianism with extreme patriotism.
3. Now for some American history . . . who wrote the American Pledge of Allegiance and also started a political campaign to have flag poles erected outside every school for display of the United States flag? It would be some time before flags were ever seen inside schools.
Francis J. Bellamy (1855-1931), the founder of the National Socialist Clubs of America. During the late 19th century, Bellamy and his brother, Edward, obtained the financial backing for their patriotism campaign from several of the most prominent and wealthy New England families that included the ancestors of the Cabots, Lodges and Bush’s. The wealthy New Englanders encouraged the “patriotic” aspect of Bellamy’s message, because they feared the rise of unions and Marxist Socialism.
Latest posts by Richard Thornton (see all)
- Why your Southeastern Native heritage is much more than DNA from Siberia - November 24, 2017
- A Southeastern Native American Holocaust during the Late 1600s - November 23, 2017
- Why would my family look like Creeks, but remember our ancestors as Cherokees? - November 23, 2017
- National Geographic Video: Secrets of the Nazca Lines - November 22, 2017
- BBC Video . . . An introduction to the Minoan civilization - November 20, 2017