BBC Video . . . An introduction to the Minoan civilization
The Minoan Civilization would seem to be irrelevant to the focus of our studies, but by golly the Lower Southeastern United States seems to have been the crossroads of the Americas in earlier times. A stone tablet containing Minoan Linear A has been discovered near the Chattahoochee River in Columbus. Smithsonian Institute archaeologist, James Ford, found bronze weapons and tools near the banks of the Altamaha River’s mouth in the mid-1930s. Un-verified Minoan A and B tablets have been found in several locations in Alabama and Tennessee. Who knows what else lurks under the ground?
One thing is for sure. The triangular temple, built of quarried stones, at the Nodoroc Mud Volcano in Winder, GA is NOT like anything else in the Americas and closely resembles the Early Bronze Age triangular temples on Sardinia, Corsica and Cyprus. Something was going on back then that we don’t fully understand.
People of One Fire subscriber, Rita Roberts, is an archaeologist working on Crete. Her focus in Minoan Linear A script. Perhaps some day, Rita can help figure out what was going on back then!
Latest posts by Richard Thornton (see all)
- Eight acre tract at entrance to Track Rock Gap is still for sale - July 19, 2019
- Lies your archaeologist told you . . . Parte Quatre - July 18, 2019
- Your editor is now back in touch with the world. - July 18, 2019
- Lightning strikes twice update - July 17, 2019
- Editor struck by lightning Friday - July 8, 2019