Discovery of Early Colonial Mining Colony in Southern Appalachians
An ancient village unearthed in 1834 in the Nacoochee Valley of Georgia represents an enigma. The structures are typical of late 16th century barracks in French forts built in the late 1500s and 1600s. The only artifacts mentioned in the article are Native American, which apparently belonged to the Native wives of the miners.
(Pictured Above) In 1828, laborers working for a gold mine owned by South Carolina Senator John C. Calhoun on Dukes Creek in the Nacoochee Valley, uncovered a Spanish or Spanish Sephardic mining village along Dukes Creek. Some Spanish lettering was seen on metal tools. It consisted of detached cabins built out of heavy timber. In addition to mining tools, the laborers found a Spanish cigar mold. Apparently, the miners were also growing tobacco and making cigars from it. The architectural evidence suggests that the colonists of these two settlements were different nationalities.
PS – The Spanish mining village is described in the book by Charles C. Jones, Jr. – Antiquities of the Southern Indians. (1873)
Latest posts by Richard Thornton (see all)
- Patriot troops enslaved captured Cherokees during the American Revolution - October 22, 2017
- The Otto Mound . . . an ancient Uchee and Itzate trading center in the Blue Ridge Mountains - October 21, 2017
- Footnote: William Bartram listed no Cherokee villages in Georgia - October 19, 2017
- William Bartram’s description of a Cherokee council house at Watauga in the Little Tennessee Valley - October 19, 2017
- The Battles of Echete Pass . . . the British Military Campaigns - October 18, 2017