Do you have questions about the Maya People?
North Americans have many misconceptions about the Maya People. Both Ric Edwards (who dreamed up POOF’s name) and I have literally dined and lived with Maya families in several regions within their homeland. We know them as friends, not as anonymous laborers working on archaeological sites. I have even danced with Maya ladies in Mexican discos and twice Maya mothers offered their daughters to me as wives. LOL As part of POOF’s December anniversary series on the Maya-North American Connection, POOF will have a special article that will explain the complexity of Maya culture then and now. For starters . . . the Mayas never called themselves by that name until the Spanish told that was their name . . . and . . . how to correctly pronounce the word, Maya. The ethnic name may well have originated in southern Florida! We will also try to explain why the Maya word for a deity is the same word as the supreme deity of the Phoenicians. Bet you didn’t know that, did you? Send your questions about the Mayas (as humans) to PeopleofOneFire@aol.com. Dios bo’otik (Thank you!)
Latest posts by Richard Thornton (see all)
- Beware of this extraterrestrial spider! - July 20, 2018
- DNA Reminder . . . the Salzburg Protestants - July 19, 2018
- The Sami – Alps – Southeastern USA Connection - July 18, 2018
- On the trail of the Alekmani . . . from Alec Mountain, GA to the Baltic Sea - July 17, 2018
- Irish archaeologists find 5,500 year old tomb, plus petroglyphs that are identical to the those in the Georgia Gold Belt! - July 16, 2018