Select Page

Editor struck by lightning Friday

Hey  Folks

Friday afternoon,  ground source lightning came up my leg from the concrete slab floor of my office.  It then traveled up my right arm to my hand to where it fried my mouse then went on to the computer –  wrecking it.    A second bolt came out of the slab about four feet from me then formed a bright ball and exploded.   I will be okay because I was wearing hiking shoes with heavy rubber cleats.   The dogs have burned feet.The computer is a total loss.    I will not be able to edit articles or comments until I am able to purchase a new computer.   Sorry about that.  Richard Thornton

The following two tabs change content below.
Richard Thornton is a professional architect, city planner, author and museum exhibit designer-builder. He is today considered one of the nation’s leading experts on the Southeastern Indians. However, that was not always the case. While at Georgia Tech Richard was the first winner of the Barrett Fellowship, which enabled him to study Mesoamerican architecture and culture in Mexico under the auspices of the Institutio Nacional de Antropoligia e Historia. Dr. Roman Piňa-Chan, the famous archaeologist and director of the Museo Nacional de Antropologia, was his fellowship coordinator. For decades afterward, he lectured at universities and professional societies around the Southeast on Mesoamerican architecture, while knowing very little about his own Creek heritage. Then he was hired to carry out projects for the Muscogee-Creek Nation in Oklahoma. The rest is history. Richard is the Tribal Historic Preservation Officer for the KVWETV (Coweta) Creek Tribe and a member of the Perdido Bay Creek Tribe. In 2009 he was the architect for Oklahoma’s Trail of Tears Memorial at Council Oak Park in Tulsa. He is the president of the Apalache Foundation, which is sponsoring research into the advanced indigenous societies of the Lower Southeast.

25 Comments

1. stratohiker@comcast.net'

Wow, glad you and the dogs are ok at least.
    Strange weather in these mtns of late. I was hiking by my lonesome in the Beech Creek Loop NC/GA area Friday. Was hearing thunder and such with full sunlight goin’ on.
    Luckily I was almost out of the woods and hitting FR70 and on up to the truck.
    I do remote IT work for a system integrator and often have spare PCs around but, alas, none of late…
    Otherwise, I’d donate one to you.
    On the other hand, for what you do, that was likely a CAD Workstation type PC you had there with a fancy video card.
    Those are $$ to buy for sure.

2. pres@gloriafarley.com'

Richard, I apologize for laughing when I first read of your plight. I know you could have been seriously hurt. It just struck me as you taking the whole Indiana Jones thing a bit too far. This is something that would happen to him just when he was about to find the treasure.

3. dougkenfield@gmail.com'

Wow, I’m glad you are ok. Good wishes for your dogs’ feet healing, too. take care, doug

4. theoldlibrary19@yahoo.co.uk'

OMG ! Richard, never mind about the computer as long as you are O.K. Good job you had those rubber boots on.

5. Bellcamp221@yahoo.com'

Oh Gosh Richard !! Are you sure you are OK ? I sincerely Hope so. I am so very sorry that had to happen to you , Your pups , and your computer. Thank goodness for your hiking boots !! The computer can be replaced , but you and the pups certainly cannot. Please know that even though we have never met I feel as tho I know you as a friend from reading your articles over the years . I am sure there are many more out there that feel the same as well . Giant rubber mats to cover the entire floor are a must to keep you all safe now. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Sincerely, Lou

6. marty@martekusa.com'

Oh My Heavens!!! Bless your heart and your fur baby’s feet… what a scary moment…praying for full recovery and a new computer… Blessings, Ms Marty

7. woolvinj@gmail.com'

Oh my gosh, Richard! Glad you are alive!

8. markveale@hotmail.com'

Richard, Very sorry to hear about all that. Best of luck in the future to you. I finally found a truth about those so called “Omecs” and their “yoga pottery pieces”…this will put the dot over the I as to who they are related too…the people of Southern India!!!…as I suspected? A world wide trade system did exist. But what about the Vi-mana ships…using anti-gravity mercury engines…perhaps they still roam the Sky and can use that Earth power line your house is on.

9. jamesrhodes666@msn.com'

Had to check the date and make sure this was not 1 April-are you “snake bit” and/or have clever enemies? Before we left Alabama a bolt hit the hill behind the house, came through our window-sending heat down my back as well as blowing up the TV… are we half brothers? Prayers for you AND the doggies!

10. schuntsman@gmail.com'

Dang Richard. Pretty scary stuff, huh?
    I’m glad you are ok.

11. ReillyrancH@aol.com'

That was a close call, glad everyone is ok!

12. woodespryte@gmail.com'

The main thing is that you are okay and uninjured!

13. marquesa@aznet.net'

Glad you are OK!

14. markveale@hotmail.com'

Richard, you are on the right location to find out what Nikola Teslar was working on…free ground electricity using that ancient stone alignment your house seems to be on. I would place ibar rods in a circle driven into the ground away from your house and connected one to another by copper wire to draw that electro-magnetic surges away from your house.

• You are absolutely right and I have got to do that soon. The lightning repair technician said that I was lucky to be alive!

15. ivymountain2012@gmail.com'

Sad to hear what has happened to you. We hope you heal quickly and are back online again soon. Take care!

16. mccoyalicia328@gmail.com'

Man, what are the odds!!?!! I am happy to hear that you are okay and I hope your dogs have a speedy recovery. Wish I was able to send a donation, as this is a free resource you provide to us.

17. edward.triple@hotmail.com'

Richard,

Go immediately to the Wikipedia article on “Ball lightning” then go to the phys.org 2012 article on Ball lightning.
    It’s the rarest and least explainable phenomenon in nature that only a handful of people have ever witnessed. I am sure those physicists will wish to talk to you so write everything that happened down in as great detail as you can remember. Explainations for their creation are currently being attributed to minerature black holes and quantum physics. No wonder in the past they were seen as being supernatural signs… it’s because they are.

Congratulations my friend you have now truly entered the ‘Twilight Zone’.

• edward.triple@hotmail.com'

P.S. Let me know if that’s what you experienced and I’ll fill you in on what you need to know. If you touch one of those things most or all of you will vaporize. Seriously.

I can only hope that the petroglyphic boulder you have behind your place wasn’t placed there because of past occurences of these things.

– NWB

18. playclay2013@yahoo.com'

Hope you’re doing fine. I’ve missed your comments and find my self wondering what you think of the new exhibit at Western?

19. bklogan1@comcast.net'

Mr. Thornton,

I reside in Savannah and ran across your comments sometime ago regarding the Indian mounds in the Savannah area. I tracked down a copy of Dr. Waring’s papers, edited by Stephen Williams. Figures 52 & 80 reflect mounds from the WPA project in 1937-38, using Carbon 14 dating to allow that they were there 3,800 years prior. The mounds at Bilbo, Brewton Hill and Delaney are of great interest. His findings reference the use of pottery from these areas. Is there documentation as to the exact location of the Bilbo and Brewton Hill digs? Any insight you might be able to share is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    BK Logan

• Yes, archaeologists are working on the Bilbo Mound right now. From the outside, it appears to be a swamp surrounded by a chain link fence. The City-County Historic preservation office can tell you exactly where it is located. Archaeologists are finding the remains of a wooden platform village at the Bilbo Mound. Very interesting!

• bklogan1@comcast.net'

Thank you for taking the time to respond. From the images presented in the Waring Papers, the Bilbo Mound is located in the swamp area just south of President Street and between the Bilbo and Casey Canals. Glad to know that it is fenced off. A homeless camp is also situated within this immediate area…..Are the notes created by the WPA, way back when (1937-40) still available for perusal?

Regards,

BK Logan

• Check with the Georgia Historical Society and the Waring Laboratory of Archaeology at the the University of West Georgia to see if they have copies.

• bklogan1@comcast.net'

The GHS is closed until renovations are completed, sometime next year (we hope). I will
            follow with the folks at West Georgia and see what they have to offer.

Regards,

BK

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 845 other subscribers

The Information World is changing!

People of One Fire needs your help to evolve with it.

We are now celebrating the 11th year of the People of One Fire. In that time, we have seen a radical change in the way people receive information. The magazine industry has almost died. Printed newspapers are on life support. Ezines, such as POOF, replaced printed books as the primary means to present new knowledge. Now the media is shifting to videos, animated films of ancient towns, Youtube and three dimensional holograph images.

During the past six years, a privately owned business has generously subsidized my research as I virtually traveled along the coast lines and rivers of the Southeast. That will end in December 2017. I desperately need to find a means to keep our research self-supporting with advertising from a broader range of viewers. Creation of animated architectural history films for POOF and a People of One Fire Youtube Channel appears to be the way. To do this I will need to acquire state-of-art software and video hardware, which I can not afford with my very limited income. Several of you know personally that I live a very modest lifestyle. If you can help with this endeavor, it will be greatly appreciated.

Support Us!

Richard Thornton . . . the truth is out there somewhere!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share this post with your friends!