Richard Thornton | Jun 3, 2017 | 15
French Description of Track Rock Georgia
French book provides eyewitness description of city at Track Rock, Georgia
Also provides eyewitness account of Roanoke Island colonists in the Nacoochee Valley of Georgia
Also uses similar name for the city as in the Creek “Migration Legend of the Kashita People” (1734)
In her second day of membership in the People of One Fire, Marilyn Rae, has shaken the world of Southeastern history to its foundation. She claims to be a mere mortal with a degree in Spanish Language and Literature from Boston University, but we are convinced that either (A) she is one of the Itsate Creek’s long lost extraterrestrial mentors from another galaxy or (B) an angel. One of the bedtime stories my grandmother told us was that in ancient times extraterrestrials would visit our people at a landing site in the Nacoochee Valley where our Wind Clan Keepers would be taught advanced knowledge. Remember my heritage is Itstate Creek, not Muskogee. That is why we hold the Nacoochee Valley so sacred, while Muskogee Creeks in Oklahoma never heard of it.
In the morning of June 18, 2013 Mary was able to translate almost all the names provided in An Early History of Jackson County of the Bohuran “Indians.” The names are Portuguese, Hebrew, Spanish, Arabic, French Breton and Dutch. This act alone is going to turn the American history books upside down.
Lacking anything else to do that afternoon, Mary found a book in the rare books collection of the John Carter Brown Library at Brown University which included a Europeanized drawing of the capital of the Apalache at Track Rock Gap. The book was written by French Huguenot, Charles de Rochefort, and published by Arnout Leers in Rotterdam in 1665. The purpose of the book was to encourage disfranchised French Huguenots and Sephardic Jews to immigrate to the Western Antilles and Southeastern North America.
The chapter on the Georgia Mountains was actually written in the early 1600s by a man, who had traded with the Apalache People living there. The original booklet [c. 1610] was entitled Paysage de la Province de Bemarin au Royaume de Apalache. [Journey to the Province of Bemarin in the Kingdom of the Apalache] The Province of Bemarin in northern Georgia still existed until the French & Indian War period in the 1700s.
Work has just begun on the translation of the Late Medieval French text, but this is what we have learned so far:
- There were two large stone structures at the top of the acropolis. The largest was rectangular and contained a fire that always burned. Only priests were allowed to go in here. In back of it was a round, stone temple to the sun god, which functioned as an observatory. The sun’s rays were used to ignite fires here with magic crystals. One can still see rectangular and round stone foundations at this location at the Track Rock ruins.
- The palace of the king, called a Paracus, was on a lower terrace on the mountainside. Paracus is the ethnic name of the people who created the Nazca Lines in Peru. The word, Peru, is derived from their name. Native Americans living east of Track Rock Gap in 2012 were found to carry high levels of Maya and South American DNA and show no genetic affiliation with either the North Carolina reservation Cherokees or the Oklahoma Muscogee-Creeks.
- The French book gives the name of the city as being Motelot. The English translation of the German translation of the English translation of the original Mvskoke language “Migration Legend of the Kashita People” calls a great city on the side of Georgia’s highest mountain, Moterol. Itsate Creeks could say the “r” sound, while Muskogee speakers couldn’t. The words are very close.
- The book called the highest mountain in Georgia, Olainy. Today, it is called Brasstown Bald. Brasstown is the mistranslation by missionaries of the Cherokee word, Itsayi, which means “Place of the Itza Maya.”
- All of the Native American words recorded in the book are either Itza Maya or Quechua (South American). There are no Muskogee or Cherokee words. This totally negates the public claims made on behalf of the US Forest Service by the Tribal Cultural Preservation Officers of the Muscogee-Creek Nation in Oklahoma and Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in North Carolina that “the Track Rock ruins were a ceremonial site built by the Cherokee and Muscogee-Creek Indians.” When, pray tell me, did the Muskogees and Cherokees ever build anything together? The Muskogees never, ever lived in the Georgia Mountains any way. That’s Itsate territory. In fact, the majority of the Creeks in Georgia were Itsate speakers.
- After visiting with the King of the Apalache in his capital, the Frenchmen traveled southward for a day to a beautiful valley where English Protestants, who were survivors of a colony in Virginia, re-established themselves. They had built a village and a Protestant chapel. Several had Native American spouses. If you have not figured it out already, those are the survivors of the Roanoke Island Colony!
In 1940 a Nacoochee Valley farmer found a stack of slate slabs in a cave, inscribed with Elizabethan English words. One of them was the grave marker of Eleanor Dare. At the time, these slabs were assumed to be hoaxes because it was ludicrous to believe that the survivors of the Roanoke Colony would have walked to the Nacoochee Valley. Why that is as implausible as Maya merchants sailing to Georgia to mine attapulgite for Maya Blue! Now we know that these slate inscriptions are probably real. They are stored at Brenau University in Gainesville, GA.
The following two tabs change content below.
Richard Thornton is a professional architect, city planner, author and museum exhibit designer-builder. He is today considered one of the nation’s leading experts on the Southeastern Indians. However, that was not always the case. While at Georgia Tech Richard was the first winner of the Barrett Fellowship, which enabled him to study Mesoamerican architecture and culture in Mexico under the auspices of the Institutio Nacional de Antropoligia e Historia. Dr. Roman Piňa-Chan, the famous archaeologist and director of the Museo Nacional de Antropologia, was his fellowship coordinator. For decades afterward, he lectured at universities and professional societies around the Southeast on Mesoamerican architecture, while knowing very little about his own Creek heritage. Then he was hired to carry out projects for the Muscogee-Creek Nation in Oklahoma. The rest is history.Richard is the Tribal Historic Preservation Officer for the KVWETV (Coweta) Creek Tribe and a member of the Perdido Bay Creek Tribe. In 2009 he was the architect for Oklahoma’s Trail of Tears Memorial at Council Oak Park in Tulsa. He is the president of the Apalache Foundation, which is sponsoring research into the advanced indigenous societies of the Lower Southeast.
Latest posts by Richard Thornton (see all)
- De Soto’s fortified camp at Kusa never studied by archaeologists - June 28, 2017
- How corrupt government officials avoid detection - June 27, 2017
- Are families, who received Creek Docket reparation payments in 1937 federally-recognized Native Americans? - June 26, 2017
- The 1970s . . . what Native Americans think was forever began back then - June 25, 2017
- Video: Fifth anniversary of the filming of “Mayas In Georgia” - June 23, 2017