The Lord of Cumberland
This is the true story of three Georgia Tech students, who become stranded on Cumberland Island, GA in 1971 and have to live off the land for ten days until rescued. The central plot of the book is preceded and followed by fascinating descriptions of life during the Vietnam War Era. Probably the most interesting scene is when the author is playing Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd records with Gov. Jimmy Carter, when a very young Senator Joe Biden knocks unexpectedly at the apartment door. He subsequently asks Jimmy to run for President of the United States. The 144 pages include 88 original color photographs of Cumberland Island or Georgia in 1971 – the year of the expedition.
Latest posts by Richard Thornton (see all)
- Business opportunity for Southeastern Native American farmers - December 13, 2018
- Introduction to Part Three of the Peopling of the Southeast - December 12, 2018
- Using words to explore the peopling of the Southeast – Part Two - December 11, 2018
- Where do you think that this Moche Hilltop Fort is located? - December 10, 2018
- Next on POOF: Did Priests from eastern Peru guide the creation of the Hopewell Culture and several astronomical sites in the Southeast? - December 10, 2018