The Lord of Cumberland
This is the true story of three Georgia Tech students, who become stranded on Cumberland Island, GA in 1971 and have to live off the land for ten days until rescued. The central plot of the book is preceded and followed by fascinating descriptions of life during the Vietnam War Era. Probably the most interesting scene is when the author is playing Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd records with Gov. Jimmy Carter, when a very young Senator Joe Biden knocks unexpectedly at the apartment door. He subsequently asks Jimmy to run for President of the United States. The 144 pages include 88 original color photographs of Cumberland Island or Georgia in 1971 – the year of the expedition.
Latest posts by Richard Thornton (see all)
- New Video: Exploration of the Soque River Basin - June 24, 2019
- Like most of the other sites, the Ladds Mountain Observatory became gravel! - June 22, 2019
- Celebrating the Creek New Year! - June 21, 2019
- US Senator Richard Burr accuses Cherokees of bribing state officials and bullying other Carolina tribes. - June 20, 2019
- Joy Harjo named first Native American Poet Laureate of the United States! - June 19, 2019